Friday 15 November 2013

Bangkok part 2 - Shines and temples

After visiting the reclining buddha me and the other people from the hostel decided to travel to the main shopping section of Siem where we found ourselves at the euwan shrine. This brightly coloured pagoda in the middle of the square acted as a shrine to Brahma, four faced Hindu god of creation. And inside the square we found flocks of worshipers making offerings to him.

Kneeing before the statue with incense clutched between folded hands, the air was turned to a bonfire of richly scented smoke so strong it made my eyes water. While behind us woman dressed in brightly coloured and mirrored clothing danced and swayed, thanking him for some wish that had been granted.

The next day I decided to take it easy by perusing modern art in arts and culture center for bangkok, after taking in collections of mirrored blocks and rooms filled with painted cardboard boxes I headed out and walked round one of the biggest and most impressive shopping malls I have ever seen (it had a river with fish in it).

After getting an early start on the following morning, I headed round Bangkok for the last day, after having a delicious stir fried breakfast I headed for one of Bangkok's biggest parks where I watched catfish consuming the bread that was tossed to them. I then set out on the metro to a hindu temple where I made offerings of fruit and milk to the hindu gods ganesha, Swaraviti, laskhmi and Uma.

After all this excitement I explore the side streets by the temple accompanied by the music of prayers to laskhmi. I explore a shop full the brim with statues and altars to every possible hindu deity and a indoor thai market. Having explored the side streets to my hearts content I jump on the bts train only to jump straight off at the sight of a huge decaying skyscrapper.  Its decaying ruins remind me of an acient temple and i am throughly entranced. By exploring the surrounding area I find a small taoist temple where a slightly mischivious local directs me in giving an offering of incense to the local deities.

After all this activity I am throughly ready to relax and the next day begin my long journey to koh tao.







No comments:

Post a Comment