Tuesday 3 December 2013

Thailand: Koh Sok national park

I decided to head somewhere slightly less touristy, so I headed to Koh Sok and a guest set right by the national park. Almost as soon as I arrived however I was already heading out the door as I booked a trip to a raft house set right on a lagoon deep in the park. The setting was beautiful, surrounded as it was by limestone cliffs covered in lush jungle. We arrived by boat and spent the morning swimming in a lake that was as warm as a heated bathtub.
After settling in our guide took on a trek right through the jungle, we past rocks shaped like daggers and crossed a stream multiple times to get to the mouth of the cave from where the water flowed. The treking through the cave was interesting as we had to wade through water, sometimes deep enough to be up to our necks. However we were rewarded with some spectacular rock formations and water cascading down the walls of the caves. 
After being led out of the cave I bonded with my fellow travellers by playing party games, eating fish caught fresh from underneath our huts, drinking beer and going on an exciting night time boat safari where we saw Civits, Bitulong and a strange kiwi like bird. After all this excitement the next day we finished our tour by doing one final trek through the jungle.
Arriving back in Koh Sok park I decided to extend my stay and in doing so got to trek through the park, seeing a snake chasing a frog that gave me the scare of my life and cheeky monkeys who had come down from the trees to steal coke and beer from the rangers huts (I even got woken up by one opening my window to break and enter into my hut).
I was now ready to move on by bus to the famous Kanchanburi.





No comments:

Post a Comment