Thursday 9 January 2014

Hoi An

The bustling city of Hoi An was my next port of call, set right on the coast it seemed to embody the best of what Vietnam had to offer. My first impressions of the city weren't that spectacular, as it seemed at first glance to be an average city with above average beach and old Vietnamese architecture.

First impressions turned out to be misleading however, as when the night fell the city came sparkling to life. Lit as it was by the iridescent glow of floating lanterns, bejeweled lamps and the ruby red fire that poured from nearby temple lights. My days around the city were spent cycling around the gently fading architecture and browsing through markets. While my nights were spent meeting up with some old friends (and making new ones), exploring the many bars that crowded the streets along the river and occasionally lighting a wish lantern to send floating down the river.

I spent my next day renting a bicycle and taking a leisurely ride to the beach, the sea was a steely grey and I relaxed there with beer as various touts took it in turns to try and sell us some braclett or trinket. The sight of the day had to go to three overly ambitious tourists who attempted to take a jetski out on the roughsea. Non were injuried in the ensuing accident but it was quite the spectacle, resue included.

One my last day there I decided to take a tour to the Cham ruins of My Son, we toured spectacular red brick ruins that had been sadly diminished by the repeating bombing it had taken during the Vietnam war. Our guide proved to be a surprising source of amusement for us, speaking as he did with one of the most ear splitting and overly bombastic voices I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.

My time in Hoi An over I decided to move onto the city of Nha Trang.











No comments:

Post a Comment