Wednesday 7 May 2014

The historic welsh town of Caerleon

Located a few miles from the city of Newport is the utterly charming welsh town of Caerleon. I was having one of those days when I just wanted to jump on a random bus and see where it took me and I was very pleased with the result.

Caerleon is set right in the heart of some beautiful countryside and has an absolutely lovely selection of small, locally run shops. It is also the site of some fascinating history, having been both the site of an ancient roman fortress and an iron age hill fort.

Fortunately today the town is a much more tranquil place and upon arrival I set about exploring the nooks and alleyways that lined the high street. As I explored I stumbled on an side street lined with beautifully carved wooden statues and filled with lovely little new age shops (including a jewellery shop, that had a working metal smithing work shop inside it).

After doing a bit of exploration and photography I stopped for lunch in a local cafe/bar. As I relaxed I enjoyed the atmosphere of the place and tucked into a delicious goat cheese and olive sandwich.

Afterwards I took a walk along the Usk river and crossed by onto a scenic winding footpath that took me up to and past the remains of the roman fortress itself.

I left the town refreshed at having had such a great day out.







No comments:

Post a Comment