Thursday 16 April 2015

The canals of midnight

 I've tried on a number of occasions to try shooting reflections at night. For simple reasons really, I love photography at night and I love reflections, why wouldn't I combine the two?

Unfortunately this type of work requires an extremely ample supply of light and a relatively narrow body of still water. But after scouring Cardiff for some time a friend suggested I take pictures of the canals near where he lived. After my first shot or two there I knew that this was the perfect place to take pictures.

Even then it took experimentation, too little light and the picture over exposed leading to samey boring images, too little and nothing was visible. However by carefully choosing where I took my pictures a world emerged that delighted me.

A world of fairy tales, twisted roots and pale distorted, ghostly buildings. It was a magical world and excately what I had been looking to capture. The canals of midnight had emerged.






No comments:

Post a Comment